Saturday, June 10, 2006

CRASH (1995): MY REVIEW

James Spader purportedly refuses to watch any of the films he has made an appearance in, and despite the fact that I think he is a fantastic actor, I can understand why he wouldn't want to watch Crash, the 1996 Cronenberg film based on the novel by J.G. Ballard.

Dying Unger. Oh noes!


According to Spader, "I have my own artistic sensibilities and Crash complements them. It is a provocative, challenging, disturbing film made for adults. It's not a skeleton in the closet for me." Well, I hate to say it, but frankly, should be an it embarrassment, both for Cronenberg and Spader. The film seemed like little more than an excuse for Cronenberg to film Spader having simulated anal sex with Alice Poon, Deborah Kara Unger, Holly Hunter, and Elias Koteas.

Spader and Unger


Despite this travesty of a movie, I continue to have a high opinion of both James Spader's acting ability and David Cronenberg's talent as a director. Unfortunately, Crash my wankery alarm shriek terrible things at an ear-splitting volume.

Unger


One star out of four. I would have given it zero, but James Spader's voice always counts for at least one star.

Spader

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home